First lit in 1849 Whitefish Lighthouse is being one of the first lighthouses on Lake Superior (Michigan Upper Peninsula ), known as the Graveyard of Ships as more vessels have been lost here than any other part of the lake. Lake Superior is the biggest, the cleanest,the deepest, and the deadliest of all five GREAT LAKES - very often (especially in November) violent storms and wild waters erupt with a suddenness that catch sailors unprepared.
November 10, 1975, the 729-foot ore freighter Edmund Fitzgerald and her crew of 29 sailed into history.
Each year on November 10th, there is a Memorial Service at the Whitefish Point Light Station for the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The ship's bell is rung 30 times, once for each member of the crew and one time for all mariners who have been lost at sea. On one the pictures below is shown a replica of the ship made out of 18 000 pieces of LEGO for almost 9 years.
One of the Coast Guard Buildings is now houses the Great Lake Shipwreck Museum - the only museum dedicated to shipwrecks on the Great Lakes.