Founded in 1701, Ste. Anne is the second oldest Parish in the US. Construction on the church began on July 26,1701 just two days after Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac landed at Detroit. A fire destroyed part of in 1703, and a new church was build in 1704.Ten years later, in 1714 the church was burned by the settles during a Native American Attack. In 1755 a new church building was built. In 1805 most of DETROIT including Ste. Anne was destroyed in an accidental fire and then in 1818 another building began (completed in 1828).
The 8th and present church is now at 1000 Ste. Anne Street (formerly 19th Street) at Howard, near the Ambassador Bridge. Ste. Anne de Detroit is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.